Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A Cold Chill


The crisp winter air nipped at my cheeks, and the air tasted salty, but it was a comforting taste at the same time,  as i looked out onto the lake. It was the perfect setting for a winter day. I waited and waited for him to show up, longing to smell the musky scent that he brought with him. Finally I got my wish, he came up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist just standing there looking out at the sunset with me. In that moment, everything changed... 

All of a sudden there was a cold chill to the air that neither of us had noticed because we were so fascinated with each other. 


As soon as I turned around I realized... it wasn't who I thought he was. How could I have been so foolish. I should have realized that it wasn't him. Just the essence of being caught up in the moment was enough to fool me, but the second I smelled, I knew that it wasn't him. 

From the beginning of the night I had, had a funny feeling in my gut. Now I realized, I should have paid more attention to it. It didn't seem to bother me much because I knew that I would finally get to see him. It was hard, sneaking around every time we wanted to see each other, but it was worth it when it came to us. That sounds corny, I know, but when you are in love, everything sounds corny. 

I was worried for my life, scared, and most of all I felt threatened. I couldn't see my own hand in front of my face, I couldn't think straight, I couldn't even remember that I needed to breathe until I thought about it. I must have passed out at one point, because as I tried to gather what state I was in, I could tell that I was in the back of a truck. It smelled like someone had taken about 300 pairs of worn gym socks and put them to rot in the back of this truck. 

The stench was so strong it was burning my eyes. 

As I sat there I realized that I hadn’t been very busy lately, but it had felt lonely... more lonely than I was used to. Which was quite strange considering that for the first time in my life, I was happier than I had ever thought I could be. It was getting to be so hot in there, that I couldn’t even breathe. This was hard to figure my way out of. Usually, I could get myself out of a tough situation, but this was a little different...

I must have fallen asleep because when I woke up I was in my room...wait, this wasn't my room. It just had all of the same details that my room had. Even the drawing I made when I was six is still here behind the door. Suddenly it dawned on me, this was an exact copy of my room. While I was trying to convince myself that this was just a coincidence, many kids drew unicorns with a rainbow tail when they were six, there was a knock on the door. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I love the colors orange and teal, my favorite foods are pickles and chocolate covered strawberries. And I am crazy for anything hippos.